At the beginning of the week I met with a good friend for a coffee. Turns out he was that night going to do some nighttime photography for his new project. I’d heard about this project and was so excited when I was invited along!
The project is based around Kielder Water and Forest Park, and that night he was doing some test shots to see how it would turn out.
After climbing screeching and turning some of the tightest bends possible we made it! At the top of the massive hill (the name escapes me at the moment!), we parked and instantly started to get everything ready as we were losing light quickly. The most prepared person I know, my friend brought a hiking backpack to store all the gear for a possible long trek up the hill. Thankfully we didn’t need to move too far with all the kit!
Being the main focus of the experiment, a reel of battery powered LED lights were acquired. We had used these on a previous shoot – Absolution, and they can in so handy! They can be trailed, cut and rewired, dangled and taped! So they can be used for quite a lot of different purposes.
Here we see the lights being hooked up to the battery pack (although not a very good picture!).
Here we see Andrew, our trusty biker. We wrapped the lights around him, using safety pins to hold them in place. In order to not stab him, we used an old coat on top of his – health and safety.
Above we see Andrew testing out the lights. The wires towards the battery pack can be quite temperamental as they are quite delicate, so a few tests were done to see if his movement would bend the wires.
The lights can also change colours! They have a handy little remote control so you can change them from a distance, so cool!
Andrew riding away into the darkness. After this we realised we needed to give him a torch on his bike, we didn’t want any broken bones.
First test is shown above – The combination of the torch on his bike with the lights on his coat gave an interesting effect. The problem was that longer exposures caused the white light to blow out the picture due to it being much brighter than the LED’s.
Second test shown above – getting there! Starting to look very cool indeed.
Test number 3 – Changing framing slightly to get a continuous light streak. Also longer exposure to try and include the stars when Andrew has gone past.
Test number 4 – Different colours!